Come Out, Come Out, Wherever you Are!

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Come Out, Come Out, Wherever you Are!

Today is National Coming Out Day, a message I hope that certain people working on the Hill take to heart. (Yes, I'm talking to you, the pretty boy with the elephant lapel pin.)

One of the many issues mixed up in the Foley scandal is the issue of being out. As much as I think Foley was behaving like a disturbed sexual predator towards his teenage charges, I also know that being in the closet can really mess with people's heads. This isn't an excuse-- far from it-- but pretending that you're someone else that you're not for, oh, I don't know, a few decades or so isn't exactly healthy. Not to mention making your living by being a member of a party that regularly uses Fear of Gayness as a GOTV strategy. I still think Foley (and anyone else who knew) should be held 100% accoutable for his actions, although that being said I think his case says something about what can happen when someone's life is confined by the secrecy and shame of the closet.

I am out, I have been for nearly 10 years, and I can say with certainty that being out of the closet is far, far better than being in.

0 comments in Come Out, Come Out, Wherever you Are!

Post a Comment

 
Come Out, Come Out, Wherever you Are! | Demagogue Copyright © 2010