Dems Should Be Pissed by Lieberman's "Plan B"

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Dems Should Be Pissed by Lieberman's "Plan B"

Sen. Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.) wants to have it both ways.

On the one hand, Lieberman is pleased to use the state's Democratic Party as his organizational vehicle to secure re-election. On the other hand, should he lose the party's primary to challenger Ned Lamont, Lieberman vowed this week to run as an independent in November.

I'd actually gain a new level of respect for Lieberman if he pulled out of the Democratic party primary and simply announced he would run as an independent. But it is the height of arrogance to essentially say, "I'll try to get renominated through a process I am fully prepared to ignore if it doesn't conclude the way I want it to."

I don't know how if the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) has already provided Lieberman with funds, but, if so, the DSCC should immediately cease providing him with such funds and, moreover, should request that Lieberman refund any previously received DSCC monies. I think that's a reasonable request given that Lieberman is showing no respect for the party's nominating process.

On a related note, the Associated Press is reporting:
Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.), a longtime supporter of Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman, said Tuesday that she will not back the Connecticut Democrat's bid for reelection if he loses their party's primary.

"I've known Joe Lieberman for more than 30 years. I have been pleased to support him in his campaign for reelection, and hope that he is our party's nominee," the former first lady said in a statement issued by aides.

"But I want to be clear that I will support the nominee chosen by Connecticut Democrats in their primary," Clinton added. "I believe in the Democratic Party, and I believe we must honor the decisions made by Democratic primary voters."

0 comments in Dems Should Be Pissed by Lieberman's "Plan B"

Post a Comment

 
Dems Should Be Pissed by Lieberman's "Plan B" | Demagogue Copyright © 2010