When Your Uncle Is a Big Shot

Friday, January 06, 2006

When Your Uncle Is a Big Shot

From the website of GQ magazine:
On a hot August afternoon, aspiring pop star Wafah Dufour walks into the media lunch hub Michael’s, in Midtown Manhattan.

... Ms. Dufour, who’s vague about her age but almost certainly younger than 30, sits down at a good corner table and thanks me for helping her tell her story.

“It’s really important for me,” she says with a French accent. “I was born in the States, and I want people to know I’m American, and I want people here to understand that I’m like anyone in New York. For me, it’s home.

“It’s really tough that I have to always explain myself,” she continues in a soft, husky voice.
Why are things "really tough" for Dufour? Because this man happens to be her uncle.

0 comments in When Your Uncle Is a Big Shot

Post a Comment

 
When Your Uncle Is a Big Shot | Demagogue Copyright © 2010