The Bush Admin. Debates With Itself

Monday, June 27, 2005

The Bush Admin. Debates With Itself

Zoe correctly noted in this post earlier today that the Bushies are unable to agree among themselves on the status of the Iraqi insurgency. But I would argue that it isn't simply Cheney and Rumsfeld who are at odds. There are at least three different points of view within the Bush administration:
VIEW #1: The Insurgency Is Losing Strength

"The level of (insurgent) activity that we see today from a military standpoint, I think, will clearly decline. I think they're in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency."

Vice President Dick Cheney, June 20 interview with CNN's Larry King

VIEW #2: The Insurgency's Strength Is Holding Steady

"In terms of the overall strength of the insurgency, I'd say it's about the same as it was (six months ago)."

Gen. John Abizaid, June 23 testimony before Congress

VIEW #3: The Insurgency's Strength Is a Mystery

NBC's Tim Russert: "... before you go, just one last thing you said and I just want to get your take on it now. October 16, 2003: 'Are we capturing, killing or deterring and dissuading more terrorists every day than...the radical clerics are recruiting, training and deploying against us?' What do you think now?

Defense Sec. Donald Rumsfeld: "Tough to know. I don't know the answer to the question. I didn't then and I don't know ..."

June 25 "Meet the Press" interview

0 comments in The Bush Admin. Debates With Itself

Post a Comment

 
The Bush Admin. Debates With Itself | Demagogue Copyright © 2010