Father Knows Best

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Father Knows Best

I was reading this stupid gala coverage piece in the Washington Post on Mrs. G. W. Bush at last night's National Fatherhood Institute awards dinner. While I'm a big fan of fathers, I'm not a big fan of the National Fatherhood Initiative, the federal faith-based funding they get for some of their work or much of the "fatherhood movement" in general. But there was one line that really struck me.
This year, Fox News analyst Fred Barnes, Orlando Magic Vice President Pat Williams, country music singer Buddy Jewell and Atlanta Falcons player Allen Rossum received Fatherhood Awards.

"I think you have to learn how to do it," said Williams, the father of 19 children, including 14 adopted from four countries. "In many ways, I'm my father's protege," said Williams, who just finished his 38th book, in which he interviewed 800 people about the most influential figure in their lives. "Over and over I got the same answer: 'My dad.' This is no slap at moms in any way, but Dad -- you are the key person."
Perhaps dad as a CEO or traditional-paternal-figurehead-to-admire-from-afar is what it means to be a father to these people, but a man who has 19 children and has written 38 books? Don't get me wrong, it is totally admirable to adopt, I personally plan to adopt someday, but what kind of father can he possibly be to that many children in addition to two careers?

Not to be an asshole, but I'm just sayin'.

0 comments in Father Knows Best

Post a Comment

 
Father Knows Best | Demagogue Copyright © 2010