Caught Up in Eugene's Blogligations

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Caught Up in Eugene's Blogligations

I’ll accept Eugene’s literary questionnaire challenge (although I’m worried that soon Feddie will have him reciting the Stations of the Cross) – just joking, blog leader. Anyway …

1. You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be [saved]?

Don’t be shocked, but I never read “Fahrenheit 451.” Yes, I’m serious. There were enough other classics on my senior English reading list that seemed more appealing – but I think I understand what you’re looking for here … my answer is "White People” by Allan Gurganus.

2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

I don’t think so. Although thinking back of Saturday morning television when I was a kid, it occurs to me that while my older brother was ogling Betty and Veronica on “The Archie Show,” I was probably looking a little more intensely at Reggie.

3. The last book you purchased?

“The Pope & the Heretic” by Michael White – on a discount rack for only $4.98 and it was purchased, I hasten to point out, well before the passing of John Paul II.

4. What are you currently reading?

"Taking Charge: LBJ Presidential Transcripts,” edited by Michael Beschloss.

5. Five books you would take to a deserted island?

1. "Giovanni’s Room” … James Baldwin
2. "October 1964” … David Halberstam
3. "Mr. Bridge” … Evan S. Connell (I feel truly honored that Mr. Connell took the time to write a biography of my father.)
4. “The Primary Colors” … Alexander Theroux
5. “The Bostonians” … Henry James


6. Who are you going to pass this (questionnaire) to and why?

I will forward a copy of this to two people: a close friend and also to President Bush (we ain't so close). I am curious to see where among his top five books Dubya will rank Norman Vincent Peale’s “The Power of Positive Thinking.”

0 comments in Caught Up in Eugene's Blogligations

Post a Comment

 
Caught Up in Eugene's Blogligations | Demagogue Copyright © 2010