Broken Gaydar

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Broken Gaydar

Bishop V. Gene Robinson of New Hampshire, the first openly gay Episcopal bishop, accidently sparked a controversy by addressing a few things about the life of Jesus--
Robinson told the New Hampshire Union Leader he is "being flooded with angry messages" because of his forum comments. He said he was making the point that the nuclear family is a relatively new idea and that, even for his time, Jesus apparently led a nontraditional life.
...
"Interestingly enough, in this day of traditional family values and so on," Robinson says in one of the recordings, "this man that we follow ... was single as far as we know; who traveled with a bunch of men, although there were lots of women around; who had a disciple who was known as 'the one whom Jesus loved'; who said my family is not my mother and father, my family are those who do the will of God -- none of us like those harsh words. That's who Jesus is, that's who he was, at least in his earthly life."
Now Robinson is being attacked for allegedly implying that Jesus was gay, which he totally denies.
"(Jesus) lived a very untraditional lifestyle," Robinson told The Associated Press. "Which is not to say that I in any way asserted that he was gay, or anything about his sexual orientation." ..."I happen to think the traditional family is a wonderful thing. I'm a product of it," Robinson said at the forum. "I dearly love my family, and I love my own family, with my own two kids. It just looks a little nontraditional. But this Jesus, when you ask who is Jesus, he was not terribly mainstream, was he?"
Give it up, Robinson. Gay bishops aren't allowed to point out the obvious-- just accept the fact that every time you open up your mouth some people are only going to hear "gay, gay, gay, gay, gay." Next thing you know you'll be accused of being anti-Christian for pointing out that Jesus was a Jew. Sadly, there are going to be people who are looking for reasons to take you out because of who you are, so either get really comfortable constantly defending yourself or just stop talking.

0 comments in Broken Gaydar

Post a Comment

 
Broken Gaydar | Demagogue Copyright © 2010