Not that I'm surprised...

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Not that I'm surprised...

Bush "thinks" that Intelligent Design should be taught in science classes along with the theory of evolution. His justification?
I think that part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought," Bush said.

"You're asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas, the answer is yes," the president said.
What was that deafening stampede noise I just heard? Every self-respecting science teacher in America making a bolt for the unemployment line. Simply put, science and scientific theory belongs in the science classroom. Pseudo-science that is rooted in religious belief belongs, if anywhere, in a world religions classroom. Particularly in a chapter about creation myths.

While I too agree that education should be about exposing people to different schools of thought, it would be a much more credible statment if Bush showed any signs of adhering to this principle himself. His record on abstinence-only education alone reveals that he doesn't have a good grasp of the concept.

0 comments in Not that I'm surprised...

Post a Comment

 
Not that I'm surprised... | Demagogue Copyright © 2010