Spinmeister of the Week (February 6-13)

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Spinmeister of the Week (February 6-13)

This past week's Spinmeister is a tie.

The first co-winner is Senator Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.). This week, USA Today published an article profiling Graham's efforts to strike a compromise over Social Security reform. In the article, Graham voiced his support for a cut in future SS benefits, but the senator engaged in some typically Washington spin to say so:
"The key to saving Social Security permanently is to recalculate the growth of benefits."
Future SS recipients will find great solace in knowing that the government didn't actually cut their benefits -- it only recalculated the growth.

The other co-winner is New York Yankees baseball player Jason Giambi, who is among those ballplayers who are rumored to have used steroids.

I have often complained about non-apology apologies, but Giambi's apology this past Thursday offers a new chapter in the evolution of apologies -- truly express personal regret, but just don't say what it is you regret having done. During his public remarks, Giambi never used the word "steroids":
"There's been a lot of distraction, definitely, over the last year, and I'm sorry for that ...''
Distraction about what, Jason?
"... I feel I let down the fans, I feel I let down the media, I feel I let down the Yankees ..."
How did you let them down?
"... I accept full responsibility for that ...'
For what?
"... Most of all, to the fans, I'm sorry."
For what?
"... I know it's going to be hard, and I understand how they feel.''
He may understand how we feel, but we don't understand why he's sorry.

0 comments in Spinmeister of the Week (February 6-13)

Post a Comment

 
Spinmeister of the Week (February 6-13) | Demagogue Copyright © 2010