(deep, sad sigh)

Monday, February 21, 2005

(deep, sad sigh)

Hunter S. Thompson is dead.

Addendum: I've read every HST obit out there over the past few days. But none nailed his end as well as this from Cintra Wilson at Salon:
I think it is improper and disrespectful to whine about this suicide. Thompson was in the game for a very, very long time, and I think it is a safe bet that he was never comfortable. This was a profoundly tortured guy, the smoke from whose ears always made a whole lot of exciting colors that we all enjoyed. It was a great brain to watch but you wouldn't want to live in it, I'd aver. He was a butch motherfucker and I'd bet cash he stuck it out significantly longer than he really wanted to. Let's face it, HST was not one for the nursing home -- he'd have just stolen everyone else's barbiturates and hurt people trying to arm-wrestle.
Personally, as much as I adored HST and wish that he could have kept on writing forever, I have to agree. It's really pretty amazing that he lasted as long as he did.

0 comments in (deep, sad sigh)

Post a Comment

 
(deep, sad sigh) | Demagogue Copyright © 2010