A Small Contest

Friday, January 28, 2005

A Small Contest

I believe it should be possible to predict much the news coverage of the Iraqi election, even before we know what's going to happen on Sunday. I propose a little competition in the comments: who can write a paragraph or two that most nearly matches what some journalist actually writes (or some talking head actually says on the air)? I think we should have two categories, one for Ruppert Murdoch organs (Fox, the New York Post) and one for the SCLM (or the MSM, whichever you prefer). Using the "I know it when I see it" standard, I'll include in the Murdoch category news outlets that belong there even though Ruppert doesn't own them (e.g., the Washington Times).

My own stab at a lede in the "mainstream" press would be something like:
Braving sporadic violence in a few provinces, millions of Iraqis went to the polls today in Iraq's first democratic election in half a century. Iraqi authorities and coalition sources said they were pleased with the turnout and hailed the election as a large step towards the establishment of a peaceful, stable, and democratic Iraq.
Entries must be posted by 10 a.m. GMT (4 a.m. EST) on Sunday, January 30. Winners will receive absolutely nothing but the admiration of their fellow competitors.

0 comments in A Small Contest

Post a Comment

 
A Small Contest | Demagogue Copyright © 2010