The Rich Are Different

Friday, January 07, 2005

The Rich Are Different

And, apparently, total assholes.

From the AP
Calling it "my retirement fund," Boston first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz stashed in his safe deposit box the ball used in the final out that sealed the Red Sox's first World Series championship in 86 years. Now, his boss wants it back.

"We want it to be part of Red Sox archives or museums so it can be shared with the fans," Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino told The Boston Globe on Thursday. "We would hope he would understand the historical nature of it."

Mientkiewicz seems to understand it very well, which is exactly why he held on to it.

[edit]

"I know this ball has a lot of sentimental value," Mientkiewicz said. "I hope I don't have to use it for the money. It would be cool if we have kids someday to have it stay in our family for a long time. But I can be bought. I'm thinking, there's four years at Florida State for one of my kids. At least."
Gee, I'd think that Mientkiewicz would be able to retire and still afford "four year at Florida State" on his $2.8 million salary.

0 comments in The Rich Are Different

Post a Comment

 
The Rich Are Different | Demagogue Copyright © 2010