Amygdala, My Dear, What an Unexpected Pleasure

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Amygdala, My Dear, What an Unexpected Pleasure

While my last science nerd post had to do with mass graves, this one is entirely frivolous. But if you like words and/or neuroscience read this ode to the word "amygdala" from the New York Times. (Noam, you'll love the pop culture references.)

If that's not for you then perhaps this one? It's about how swordfish have adapted little heaters to keep their eyeballs warm so they can see better.

For the rest of you, probably all of you, who remain unmoved. This one's sure to raise an eyebrow. The tsunami-causing earthquake raised the surface of the earth by an entire inch. We all know the effect that the wave had on the water in the ocean, but it did basically the same thing to the earth's crust. Freaky.

0 comments in Amygdala, My Dear, What an Unexpected Pleasure

Post a Comment

 
Amygdala, My Dear, What an Unexpected Pleasure | Demagogue Copyright © 2010